How to Obtain Legal Name Change in United States

Even the Niger River must flow around an island. -Nigeria

72883629How to Obtain Legal Name Change in United States

Changing your name through the court process is a relatively simple process:

  1. Select new name.
  2. Determine the correct county for filing.Then, go to county clerk’s office and ask for the necessary forms.
  3. Fill out forms; and submit them to Clerk. Attach proof of current name– required documents needed may include birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, or other forms of ID. If you are a minor, a parent or guardian must agree with the name change. If  you are a parent filing for a name change of a minor because the father listed on the birth certificate is not the actual father, the father listed on the birth certificate must agree/not object.
  4. Place small name change notice in at least one local newspaper.
  5. If no one objects to your name change and everything is done properly, you will receive an Order for Change of Name or Notice of Name Change stating your former and current name. (If you are an adult, I suggest you keep a copy of this order with you as a form of identification).

This process takes approximately 4-6 weeks. (You may hire an attorney to complete the paperwork for you.)

3 people like this post.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *